Sunday, June 14, 2009

Because you can...

The other day I was talking to a friend about my fundraising and the fact that I had sent him a letter and an e-mail reminder.
His response was--I don't have any money to give.
I told him that anything helps--$5 or $10 goes a long way--especially after I have sent out 100 letters and numerous e-mails. Not to mention, I have written about it on the blog. I know, I am redundant with this. But, I want to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS).
I know that I am not alone in this. I know that there are other non-profits that hope to sustain their cause and I know that the economy is not fantastic right now.
He understood it better when I told him anything helps. I do not expect everyone to be able to give me $50. Although, I will accept it:)
Seriously, I believe that you give because you want to and because you can. Brian's cousin, Kellen, is a girl scout. She sent me an e-mail and asked for me to purchase cookies or donate them if I wasn't interested. She made sense in her asking and explained that she wanted to receive an award of an elephant for her efforts. I wanted her to be successful and I donated my cookies to Tom and Shari. I appreciated her e-mailing me and the fact that it was important to her.
Today, some of my other friends surprised me with a very generous donation. I felt great knowing that (LLS) was benefitting from my friends and also that they supported me in this effort. It is important and a way to give back to the community and the universe. I am thankful in my life and grateful for the people that I encounter. I am happy for the opportunities that I am currently finding. Who knew that I would enjoy running this much? I think/believe, truly, that next year will be a full marathon. I hope to find more running partners and the ideal place to accomplish it. I know that I am getting ahead of myself, but I can dream, right?

No comments: