Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I'm an adult, now....

I am an adult now. I am paying for my own internet service.
I know. This is lame, but so true.
When Chichi lived with me, she set it and turned it off when she departed in December. Somehow, I managed to have cable until this morning.
I negotiated with Marc and Megan to use their internet service until they moved. I gave them wine, they let me use their wireless connection. Actually, I know that the wine was unnecessary, but I liked them and I liked being able to contribute. I don't expect a free ride.
The Comcast guy took 2.5 hours of my life to set up the internet, but I think he turned the cable off first. Very sad.
In some respects it is good. It will force me to read more, to be outside more, and inside less. I rely on the idiot box, a lot, it seems. I like having sound in the back ground and I used to sleep with it on.
I know that the internet has Hulu, and other free shows that are available for viewing. I was without a tv, or constant service for the 5 months that I traveled. I know that I can adjust to life without tv.
Still, I am sad. I will miss watching Rescue Me, tonight. I can watch it in 8 days on Hulu.com. I suppose it is something to look forward to.
Marc and Megan moved to DC, today. They left me some cleaning products, two bar stools, a plant, a lamp and an excellent full length mirror. There are other things, too. I will miss them and knowing that there is someone friendly to see when I return home. I wish that I had spent more time with them, sooner.
I am off to the post office. While waiting for the internet, I wrote 8 thank-you cards and packaged a budha for someone that needs it. You know, you cannot buy your own...

2 comments:

scarlethue said...

I wouldn't do very well without television. I need the noise too, especially when I'm alone. I don't have one in the bedroom, though, I don't like having one there.

You asked me once for book recommendations and I've been trying to come up with some good ones. Now that you don't have tv I'll give you the first one that came to my mind-- A Secret History by Donna Tartt. It's about a bunch of college students and some mysterious occurrences that happen on their campus. That's all I'll give away. It's just well written and really keeps you engaged.

harmony said...

thank you for the book recommendation. I appreciate it.
Yes, the tv can be soothing. I am thankful the internet and hope that this period of adjustment is smooth.