Saturday, June 20, 2009

Caring Trumps

The other day, a girl I went to high school with posted an update about another classmate of mine. Brett was in an accident with his lawnmower. It exploded and he now has 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his chest, arms and legs. He will be in the hospital for a month, at least.
She was letting people know (which is good) but somebody else commented on it (which was bad and why I think facebook is crappy if misused:). This guy commented with--no shit...is he going to live?
I found it completely insensitive and was disgusted.
I messaged the girl and inquired further about Brett's condition. I was on the fence with if I should send a card since I haven't seen Brett since high school, but I knew him and his sister, Keri, pretty well. I remembered what they looked like and spent a week with Keri in Orlando on a band trip. I know that sounds somewhat odd, but aren't there people that have searched you out and you have no idea who they are? You cannot place them or even remotely remember what they look like or how you know them?
In this case, I did spend time with each of them.
I feel awful for Brett and what he is going through.
I spoke to my neighbor, Megan, about it and realized that caring triumphs anything else. I remember people sending me sympathy cards that I hadn't spoken to since high school and it brightened my day. One of my math teachers sent me a card and I remember her words and how she approached me with my loss. I think it is important to reach out, not completely reconnect or expect anything from it, but extend human kindness.
I do it for me. I sent out a few sympathy quotable cards in the last month and haven't heard anything back, nor do I expect to. I did it for me, too. I had lots of unexpected people reach out to me while I was going through the initial phase of grief. I feel it continues the healing process and makes me feel better to be able to do it.
On an interesting side note...another facebook experience, but this girl posted the difference between character and reputation. It struck a chord with me and I feel it will stay with me all day. It said something like--don't be afraid, be alive--and I guess that resonated with how I live my life and how I wish others would live theirs. Life is too short to wait for tomorrow to fully enjoy it or expect that door of opportunity to open, tomorrow, not today. If you don't risk, you are missing out on something potentially amazing. Live in the present and enjoy the moments, good or bad. We all have the power to change and better ourselves, our environment and our lives.

No comments: