Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Small changes

2009 is all about becoming more green for me. I follow this blog, Reduce Footprints, and they provide several ways in which to incorporate being "green" into daily life.
In the past, walking or public transport were my top ways of being green. Granted, it cuts down on gas money, which I appreciate and enables me time to think. I ponder. I think of things to write about and when I sit in front of the computer, I am blank. Nevertheless, walking is a wonderful way for me to be green.
I recycle, as do my neighbors. Typically, we fill up the container and run out of places to put the items. I was at work, last week, and realized that we don't recycle. It wasn't a big light bulb moment. Of course, I knew we don't recycle...I take out the trash every Saturday night when Dave closes. Erik tends to do this when he closes. I thought about all of the bottles of booze that we throw away. It is ridiculous and so last Sunday, I set two cases of empty vodka bottles to the side and carted them off to Whole Foods when my shift ended. I have decided that this will be my weekly thing. Every Sunday, I will make it a point to recycle bottles and this will be my small additional contribution to making Denver a "greener" environment.
I feel that every contribution, regardless of how small, makes a difference. I have the means to do more and I want to. Plus, I figure that I will have my car on Sundays as opposed to days when I walk to work.
The last few days have been lazy. I have rested. I feel like a sloth. I cannot wait to go to yoga tomorrow. I want gauge how my legs feel before hitting the trail, again.
I feel lethargic and sleepy. Wow, I miss running...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's a great personal advocacy. keep it up.

harmony said...

thank you for stopping by and word the words of encouragement. I appreciate it.

Rachael @ The Little Birdie said...

Look at you go! That is SO awesome! Good for you! :)

My new favorite thing is TOM'S Shoes. They are made earth-friendly, and are super comfy shoes. But the best part is, for every pair you buy, he gives a pair to a child in need! Check em out, I bet you would like them, and it's one more way to make the world a better place! :)