Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Red red wine or perhaps, white...

Megan and I went to Solera tonight.
Our intention was to have calamari at Solera followed by dinner at Elway's. One glass of wine led to two, to three. Actually, we realized that dinner would not be unavailable at Elway's due to timing. We were at Solera until 9 pm and I think that Elway's kitchen closes at 9 on Tuesdays. I abhor being the late diner. I try to not go to restaurants that are closing within 15 minutes of my arrival.
We ate calamari, salumi and a golden beet salad. Food was fantastic, service okay and Maghan. Maghan was awesome. He treated us to a gewurtzaminer that he brought and entertained us with service stories. I always enjoy hearing stories from other restaurants. It reaffirms that I am not crazy. Other diners are. For instance, this woman dined at Solera with another woman. She insisted that her friend have the pasta, but her friend declined. The server listened to the friend and the original diner was offended that her friend wasn't served pasta and called in to complain about the server. Some people do not like to be ordered for or ordered about. What is the best way out of this situation? I opt to listen to the person refusing to eat more, or drink more. I err on the side of caution.
I love dining out, but I dislike being ordered about or told that I have to try this or that. If I don't like liver ever, why would I like it with you, tonight? I believe that people know their own preferences/dislikes and do not need to force them to try something that I enjoy or dislike. I prefer pleasant dining out experiences and surround myself with people who have similar likes/dislikes. Although, my sister Jade, used to be difficult to dine with. She used to only enjoy super bland food. She would complain if anything peppers or onions on it and was super boring to dine with. Thankfully, she has grown up!
Red wine and some white. Preferably, red, it is...a glass of Gundlach Bundschu, french and a glass of shiraz that smelled like paint thinner--yuck!!! Seriously, disgusting Aussie wine--the Lackey. Anyways, have a great night, enjoy your drink and sleep well....
R

3 comments:

Jun said...

I also do enjoy food tripping. And I like the exotic ones.

By the way, there's an award for you. Please stop by to accept it.

Thanks.

scarlethue said...

I agree about leaving people to pick their own food.... but my brother in law won't eat peaches!! Who doesn't eat peaches? Not even peach cobbler?!? And he won't eat anything with onions in it, which makes cooking for him pretty difficult. He doesn't like vegetables, and I'm a vegetarian. When we eat Mexican out together, he gets tacos with just meat and cheese. Not even any salsa! It's just weird, I tell you, weird.

harmony said...

Very bizarre, indeed. How does one not like peaches? Is it a texture thing I wonder?
I know a few people that don't like onions and I don't get it. I will pretty much eat anything, but liver and onions, but that is a whole other story.
Salsa is a staple in my diet. I have decided that I must have it! Be well...