Thursday, June 4, 2009

Returning to training...

4 days of not running or going to yoga...I feel terrible.
I feel awful for being lazy. I have been working and so it isn't like I have been couch-bound, inhaling bon-bons all day. Although, yesterday, one of my co-workers brought in Special K treats that his mom made. I haven't had one of those since childhood. You know what I am talking about, right? Peanut butter bars with chocolate topping and a great crunch taste. My friend, Jenny Minard, likes to make them, too. I remember arriving at her birthday party a few years ago, and she was coaching her friend on the best way to do it. They were yummy.
I have been icing my legs and resting as much as I can. I am walking somewhere today and on Saturday, I will rejoin my group and go for a run. I feel that I will be ready at that point. I feel confident that I can return to training with a few adjustments.
I enjoy running in my neighborhood and so avoiding concrete is not possible. I do not belong to a gym and do not have access to a treadmill yet. My neighbor, Megan, is giving me the remainder of her membership when she moves at the end of the month. I will have a 5 month membership for $50. I was excited and flattered that she thought of me. She approached the manager at her gym about me taking over her membership before broaching me with the idea. She felt that I would want to run inside when it was too hot. She is right. I do want to train inside.
I also need to stretch. I do go to yoga on a regular basis. At the group trainings, the coach shows up and off we go. We do not really focus on stretching. He seems cavalier about it and I took this approach as well until the onset of shin splints. I need to stretch. I know this. In the past, I have always respected stetching. Until, I saw this guy, who, granted has run multiple marathons and is a runner. He doesn't stretch, but it is part of his regimen. Me, I need to stretch and I need to remember that.
I want to fuel the body. My sister told me with enthusiasm---you can eat bagels, again. Not that I stopped, but I thought it was cute. Yes, I will be eating more complex carbohydrates. Training is fun, right. I have a friend that is a fitness fanatic. Michelle is more of a cyclist, though. Her friend is a runner and he is running the Chicago Marathon as an elite runner in October. He is a vegan and has been for 15 years. I feel, that alone, would be enough of a challenge, but it is his lifestyle and he is comfortable with it. He is blogging his whole experience with the training, diet, etc up until his event. It is a work in progress and I want to read his musings. I do applaud his decision to be a vegan even if I would never do it.
Today is a new day. I have opportunity to return to running and enjoy the cooler weather. Oh, and Burn Notice returns tonight. Yes, I watch it and a few other shows, too. Be well...

No comments: