Saturday, June 6, 2009

Saturday mornings equal early morning running

Friday night was spent at home.
I know, lame.
I went to the Saucy Noodle to load up on carbs and a glass of wine. Plus, I wanted to see my friend, Jamie, and didn't feel like cooking for myself. My aunt was busy, too.
I returned home and spent the evening writing thank you cards. I enjoy doing this and I especially enjoy doing it after people have donated to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society on my behalf. It means, that fundraising is going well and that I won't be paying for this all out of pocket. I do believe in this foundation and of course, am benefitting from the training.
I went to bed after watching an episode of Seinfeld. Nothing says summer like that show. I watched the one where Jerry was trying to romance the Native American, but kept putting his foot in his mouth with racial slurs--scalpers, reservations and the cigar store indian. George entertained a lady in his parent's bed which was also a funny side story.
I digress. Everything was going well. I fell asleep and woke up at 5. I didn't feel like getting up, quite yet, and so I slept, and slept and slept until 6:30. Yikes. I needed to meet my group at 6:50, warm up my car, stretch and run. I arrived at 7 and felt confident that others would be late. They were. We didn't stetch as a group which is normal and off we went.
An hour of running. Both of my running friends were there and so I didn't listen to the ipod. Lindsay is a great running partner since she is realistic...she runs for herself and motivates me. She doesn't make me feel inferior to her. Jamie, on the other hand, is a runner. She sets her pace and goes, and goes, and goes. I know this and I repect it. I am not ready to run with her though since I do not have that endurance.
Saying this, today, I ran 6 miles in an hour. I feel great. I know that I can do a half marathon. I will do it.
We ran in south Denver on a really nice trail. We crossed a few major roads--Bellevue and Quincy. Ironically, as we crossed Bellvue, cars were whizzing by. There is a cross walk and a sign for drivers about being cautious and aware of the pedestrian traffic. A car cruised down and I kept going. They stopped. A few people commented that it was dangerous with the cars and I said, ironically, I was almost hit yeaterday because of a similar situation. We all have the responsibility, as pedestrians, cyclists, drivers, to be aware of other people. Summer has arrived and so there are many more people on trails and side walks. We should support more greenness in our lives, right? It is a two way street. I do not walk across Speer Blvd., unless it is a clear shot. I do not like creating accidents due to my negligence as a pedestrian either. Watch for people and enjoy you day.

No comments: