Thursday, June 25, 2009

running and other thoughts of life

Morning running---gotta love it!
I went with Jenny. She lives up north and so we ran around Sloan's Lake. She is super motivated and we ran 5 miles in 47 minutes. I like this about her. If it were me, running by myself, I would have ran around it once and called it a day. She encourages me to keep going and expects it.
Funny, afterwards, she commented that it was nice to run with me since she would have stopped had I not been there. I guess there is something about running with others.
Plus, I am meeting people and learning about them.
For instance, I told Jenny the story of my friend that has 2nd and 3rd degree burns from the lawn mowing accident. I explained how insensitive I felt some people were being regarding Brett's life. Jenny asked me how serious it was and then told me that her dad passed away from their water heater blowing up. He was covered with 3rd degree burns and she, too, was disgusted by the one guy's comments regarding Brett. She said that she has a different appreciation for life now. I told her that I understood that and told her about Brian.
She empathized with me and encouraged me to talk about it. She felt it was healthy to talk about her dad and agreed that people that haven't experienced loss are ill-equipped to deal with it. Meaning, most people don't know what to say and so either they say nothing at all, or they say something that is completely irrational and unhelpful. Like---oh, you lost your son..don't you have another? Or, you can always have another child. Or, you are young--you will meet someone else. It doesn't matter, in either situation, if you have another child or if I were to meet someone else. Brian will continue to be in my heart and in my life. It doesn't just go away because he died. Of course, I talk about him. It helps me. I am able to breathe because I talk about him and my life with him.
It doesn't matter where I live or where I will be tomorrow, Brian is in my life, my heart and my soul. Yes, I have a different understanding of life and how to live it. I choose to risk, to experience and to taste life....everyday. You never know what will happen....so, be happy today.
Jenny told me that one of her brothers didn't talk about their dad's passing, for a year. Instead, he drank. He sank into this depression. She said that she cried and got a lot of it out and felt that she healed, faster, because she didn't run from her feelings.
There is no set way to deal with death. I know. I know that my way worked, somewhat, for me. It still is. I am a work in progress. I travel. I eat. I drink wine and I live my life.
Be well...I am sure that I will write more on this later....

No comments: