Sunday, February 10, 2008

beware of cops....

today was a lazy day. I slept, like I mentioned and enjoyed the fact that the room was vacated by those idiots.
Now, I am overwhelmed by the Herbal life morons that do skype for 45 minutes and try to rush me off. They do not type fast, and generally i am irritated by so many rude people.
I went to this famous pizzeria for dinner tonight since i have read a bunch about it and it was close to the hostel. I felt somewhat weird before I left. I couldn´t place the feeling, shook it off and went anyways. The pizza was fantastic and definitely worth the trip. I was impressed and enjoyed a veggie and a plain cheese. I read the Joy Luck Club and started my walk back to the hostel. I was on Avenida Corrientos when I noticed this car next to me. I thought it was a cabbie, looking for a fare. It continued with me and I looked over and realized that it was a cop. I didn´t know what to do since they were hovering and the whole language factore plus, how do you get rid of the police? They are supposed to be protecting you. As I pondered this, he looks at me and suggestively says--HOLA and i ignore him and look for a distraction. Of course, there are no english speakers anywhere and so I walked into a ticket office and described my situation. They told me that i could wait and that i would be fine. One of the guys went outside to see if the police car had stopped and I waited a few minutes and left. The man was recounting the story to a few guys and laughing--of course. When I returned to the hostel, they said, that´s argentine police. Do you feel safe?
I am fine and just found it amusing, really. The uniform myth continues for me....the more these women come into the computer and hover, the longer I am determined to stay on here. They actually asked me if I would be on long since they were waiting, too. Really, 15 minutes is one thing....45 a complete other.

No comments: