Friday, February 15, 2008

The never ending cycle

Each day, I wake up, grab my alcohol bottle to treat old mosquito bites, tooth paste and contact solution. I use the tooth paste to treat the gargantuan bites that I am now receiving. I am so uncomfortable and I think the OFF is immune to the mosquitoes in Chile. I woke up at 3 and tossed and turned until now. Basically, I alternated between scratching my feet, my lower back and thighs. I didn't get any neck bites last night, thankfully, and I know that I have kept most of the people in my room up due to my sensitivity to the mosquitoes. At 3:30, I decided to go on-line for additional recommendations. They suggest that dark clothing, cooler body temperatures, releasing lactic acid (while exercising) attract mosquitoes. I met this guy the other day and he told me that I needed to get more of a tan and that would keep them away. I thought that was comical.
In regards to natural repellents, it suggests peppermint oil, cinnamon oil, lemon eucalyptus, citronella, clove and garlic. Actually, there was more but I think I will go out and eat a garlic head each night before I go to bed. That way, if I am sweating, I am releasing foul fumes which might deter these little buggers. It is insane and I don't know what else to do. I know the OFf is nonexistent as a weapon against them.
In more positive news...in Chile, their idea of coffee is instant nescafe. In our hostel, there is a laminated copy of where two Starbucks are. I know, I know, it is the capitalistic devil, but it was heavenly when I was able to order a real coffee. I am so going back there today after I take a 5 hour nap to catch up on sleep deprivation.
Any other suggestions on how to protect myself from the onslaught of mosquitoes? I actually considered they were bed bugs since a few of them welted up and this girl from Israel in the hostel said that when she first arrived, 13 days ago, she slept in a room with bed bugs. I don't think they shut down the hostel, just the room where they were problematic. Doesn't sound too sanitary to me, but I know that mine are mosquitoes and I am on a completely different floor, area of the house from that issue--i hope.

No comments: