Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Bike and Ride or trying to find your way amongst others...

I relocated to a new hostel and the people are nice, mostly english speaking and I decided to go on a wine tour with 5 people. It was unorganized and chaotic from the start.
We got on the #10 Bus which wasn´t the right one, my fault, apparently, there is more than one #10 bus. Then we arrive in Maipu and head to the bike and wine which has plywood leading up to the entrace. It costs 20 pesos for 4 hours and you get a free water. They hand you a map and you are off. The map is inaccurate and confusing. I was with 3 guys--one American, one drunk--I mean, Irish, a Danish guy, a girl from the UK, and an Aussie. I fixed my seat so that I could extend my legs and we were off. It was basically, the blind leading the blind. We got lost, regrouped and then went to a wine museum with wine. We were never approached and so we drank what they had out. Afterwards, I took off with the Aussie since I was tired of waiting around for the pack of them. Mostly, the 3 guys hovered over the girl from the UK and weren´t peddling fast. It was super annoying and I couldn´t believe that I had allowed myself to get stuck like that again.
Eventually, we had lunch which was nice and then we headed 5 km to the last winery. I took off with two of the guys, again, since I didn´t like peddling so slow, but the Aussie is older and not fast on the bike as well as the girl from the UK. They both struggled.
The last winery was lovely and at this point, we ran into a fellow traveler with a car. He could take 4 people with him and so me and Dane got the shaft. We rode the bus back, I practiced my spanish and now I am finally on the internet. I suppose it was a lesson in patience and human nature. I just don´t like riding that slowly. I mean, I could walk faster than they were riding. Plus, it was a safety hazard as we were clogging up the road while cars were trying to pass us. Never again!!!
Tomorrow, I am doing one more organized tour and then I will leave for Buenos Aires on Thursday night. Jaime and Dane from Denver should arrive soon and I will meet up with them in Buenos Aires for a drink or two.
Cheers...enjoy the wine and the weather. Learn spanish and feel comfortable with a map!!!

No comments: